Small piece of paper that is not so complicated to do. Right? It really is not! But if you want to make it stand out it’s important to think about a few things and invest some more time into this process. Business cards should be part of your self-introduction.
Why you need business card?
Despite living in a digital world, a business card can be really useful and important for you or your business. If you are going on events and want to establish contacts with each other, it is handy if your contact can share it with them as a contact. If this is not a personal contact, but business you can also gain potential customers and you give good professional first impression.
What should be on your card?
Necessary information are:
- name, surname
- relevant contact information (e-mail, phone number)
- web page (If you own one), logo, business name and address (it is business card)
- major areas of strength (or what your business is about)
If you want you can also include your picture and your social media accounts (e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter). The most important is that your business card will be transparent, professional looking and not too many (unnecessary) information.
What size should my card be?
Depending on what kind of business card you want and what are you doing, you can choose the size and shape of your card. Standard business cards are usually the size of bank cards. This is 85×54 mm or 90x50mm (in Slovenia).
How to make outstanding business card?
1. Selects the content for business card
First is important to determinate potential people/client that will get your cart and which information will be useful for them.
2. What kind design you want (simple, colorful, stylish, happy, professional…)
How your dream card looks like? What do you want someone to think about when receives your card?
This can be quite a complex process that requires some skills and knowledge. It is important that in the end your card will be eye-catching, it will give the impression that you want and at the same time it will be transparent.
4. Check that all the information on the card are correct
Double-checks your contact information and correct typos. Sharing incorrect contact information, we will probably do more harm than benefit.
5. Preparing files for print
It is time to put the business card in print! File preparation can also be done in process of designing. If not, now is the time to prepare file to print:
- Bleed Area: usually you need 2-5mm of Bleed Area
- Crop Marks: indicates where to cut the paper
- you should convert text to Outlines (curves)
- you should choose the right color mode (CMYK)
- you should choose the right resolution (300dpi)
Save as pdf.
6. Choose the right material
Usually it is already planned in the process of designing. If not it is necessary to decide on this step:
- choose the right kind of paper (plain, “relief”, eco…)
- choose the right thickness of paper
- choose mat or glossy surface finish (or without)
- choose square or round corners
Now it is only necessary to select the good print shop that will be done its job.
8. Use it!
Because they are made exactly to your taste, it shouldn’t be a problem. 🙂