You are not familiar with WordPress yet and you are curious if the managing your website will be too much for you? + VIDEO
If you’re wondering whether or not you will be able to edit your own new WordPress website, this post and video are for you!
In this video, I will show the basics and how you can quickly add new content to WordPress. The video is in Slovene, but you can check it to get feeling how WordPress look like.
In the video, you can find:
00:27 What is WordPress
00:55 Login and general overview
03:25 More about Settings
04:45 More about Posts
07:40 More about Media
08:02 More about Pages
09:00 More about Comments
What is WordPress?
WordPress is content management system or platform for websites and blogs. It is one of the most used platforms because it is highly customizable and user-friendly (when you page is set up).
Login and general overview
First, you have to login into the WordPress system: if you have a default installation, that your link for login should be something like www.mydomain.com/wp-admin.
Enter your username and password. After successful login, you will see the dashboard. You can see some information at a glance and you can also edit your dashboard view.
In the left column, you can find a menu that contains:
- Dashboard – with shortcuts to dashboard and updates.
- Posts – this are posts for blog.
- Media – contains all uploaded images, videos, documents…
- Pages – pages like homepage, contact page, about me…
- Comments – you can enable comments for each post/pages. In this section, you will see all comments.
- Appearance – here you can customize visual elements of your website.
- Plugins – WordPress offers a full range of plugins, one better – other not so. It is the best that your website developer take care of Appearance and Plugins.
- Users – you can edit your profile here as well as other users who have access to the site.
- Tools – to export and import content, depending on your website, here can be available several tools.
More about Settings
- General Settings – you should add Site Title, Tagline (important for Google!), URLs, language…
- Writing Settings – you can set default post category, format…
- Reading Settings – you can set home page, blog page…
- Discussion Settings – here we can determine whether the comments wait for approval, or they are publicly displayed immediately.
- Media Settings – settings for photos, videos …
- Permalink Settings – permalinks for pages, posts…
More about Posts
Firs you can see a list of all posts. If you choose one, you can then edit post: title, permalink, content, excerpt and you can see revisions as well. On the right side, you can publish your new post, set visibility or schedule post. Under Format, you can choose the format of your post, choose a category, add tags and set featured image. Excerpt and featured image are usually displayed under all post list.
To add a new post, just click “Add New” in the left menu, or on the top.
Note: WordPress in the video is a basic version and may, therefore, look different from your WordPress admin view.
More about Media
In media section, you can find al media that were uploaded to WordPress. This can be images, video, documents… But it is not necessary that you have enabled and can upload all these formats.
More about Pages
Pages are the home page, contact page, about me page… and adding a new page is similar than adding new Post. The appearance of the editor may vary depending on the used plugins and, of course, the theme you are using.
More about Comments
In the comments section, you can see a list of all the comments, who commented, the content and submission date. Then you can reject, approve or replay.
This is all for today, I hope it is useful for you. Do you use WordPress? Are you considering using it?
If you have any questions please feel free to live it in the comment section.
Have a wonderful day and see you next time!